Shaped for Life
At Couture, men and women attain a “lifelong gift” with CoolSculpting nonsurgical fat reduction
by Bill Donahue

For a growing segment of the population, diet and exercise simply aren’t enough to attain the body they’ve worked so hard to achieve. In the past, men and women either went without or had to undergo the risks of invasive surgical procedures. Now, however, there is CoolSculpting, an FDA-approved body-contouring treatment that “freezes away” fat from the body, with lasting benefits, all without surgery or downtime.

“Originally, CoolSculpting’s primary purpose was fat reduction, particularly in the lower abdomen, the backs of the arms, the thighs and other parts of the body,” says Anshul V. Gambhir, M.D., founder and medical director of Couture, an aesthetic medicine practice he opened in 2005, with offices in Exton and King of Prussia. “Most people who have had the procedure experience a 25 percent reduction in fat in the treated area, though some have had even better results. As long as a patient’s expectations are realistic, satisfaction is incredibly high.”

CoolSculpting uses nonsurgical means to transform the body by eliminating stubborn pockets of fat from targeted areas. CoolSculpting incorporates specialized cooling plates set to a temperature that will not harm skin or muscle but will freeze fat, effectively killing the fat cells. Once this process occurs, the dead fat cells will be metabolized and naturally eliminated from the body. Patients typically start to see results as soon as three weeks after treatment, while the most dramatic results will occur one to three months after treatment.

The treatment is known for its versatility as well as for its efficacy, according to Dr. Gambhir, who has been offering CoolSculpting in his practice for approximately two years. Since the technology’s introduction in 2009, the areas of the body the treatment can be used to address—not to mention the number of men and women drawn to CoolSculpting’s many benefits—have increased significantly.

Specially trained physicians such as Dr. Gambhir use CoolSculpting to noninvasively treat the flanks, love handles and thighs, as well as the abdomen and muffin top. The treatment can also be used to tighten the skin in those same areas, as well as the chest, while a special “Mini” applicator can be used to firm the skin of the neck. It has even proven effective in treating cellulite and gynecomastia, or the enlargement of the breast tissue in males.

“CoolSculpting uses the power of cold to destroy fat cells, but it’s also effective in terms of building up collagen reserves as an alternative to skin tightening,” says Dr. Gambhir, who earned his medical degree from Temple University School of Medicine and completed his residency at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. “In regard to fat reduction, as long as people are maintaining their diet and a healthy lifestyle, the results are theirs to keep. It’s a lifelong gift.”

Each CoolSculpting treatment lasts approximately one hour—the Mini treatment lasts approximately 45 minutes—and is relatively pain free. Dr. Gambhir says some patients report experiencing a brief “pinching” sensation, followed by a few minutes of a feeling reminiscent of “ice cubes touching the skin,” then a numbing sensation.

“The patient experience is incredibly comfortable, both during and after the procedure,” Dr. Gambhir says. “As a result, the procedure requires minimal downtime.”

Dr. Gambhir suggests 98 percent of patients are back to enjoying their regular routine within minutes of the procedure, while the other 2 percent experience some irritation—“a feeling similar to pins and needles,” he says—that can be alleviated with ibuprofen.

Joining Dr. Gambhir in leading Couture is Vibha Gambhir, M.D.—his wife—who received her medical degree from the Drexel University College of Medicine and did her residency at Hahnemann University Hospital. The physicians are equal partners in running the practice, and both perform the full gamut of nonsurgical cosmetic procedures offered by the practice, ranging from CoolSculpting and nonsurgical eyelifts to laser skin resurfacing and liposuction.

Of particular note, Couture is also a leader in dermal fillers and cosmetic injectables. Dr. Gambhir says the practice is among the top 50 providers in the United States for all services provided by Allergan, the maker of cosmetic injectables such as Botox, Juvéderm and Latisse.

“People want to look and the feel the best they possibly can,” he says. “We offer the full range of options in terms of cosmetic medicine and safe and effective nonsurgical body shaping to help them achieve the results they seek.”

610-518-SKIN (7546)

668 W. Lincoln Highway
Exton PA 19341

King of Prussia Medical Center
491 Allendale Road, Suite 208
King of Prussia, PA 19406

Photograph by Jody Robinson